Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Barack Obama

Those three words - President Barack Obama - are ones that give me unfathomable joy and pride to say, to write, to read. What an amazing, awe-inspiring, magnificent day.

I watched the inaguration from a conference room at the law office I'm temping at today. While I wish I could have been in DC, it was no less incredible to view the events on television. What I want most right now is to gather with my friends and family and hug, cry, scream with delight, laugh and raise a glass in honor of not only Barack Obama, but the millions of people who chose hope over cynicism.

Go visit the New York Times online. They have uploaded hundreds of photos submitted from readers around the world. What got me crying today, even more than the swearing in ceremony and President Obama's speech itself, were the pictures of ordinary people exhibiting unbridled joy. People AROUND THE WORLD are sharing their hope and optimism about an American President in a way that is unprecedented in my lifetime. If only I were a poet and could express what I feel in words more suitable to the size of my gratitude and awe.

And a shout out to one of my favorite pix in the NY Times online display -- a close-up on a bar of soap with Obama's face on it that reads "The Audacity of Soap". Points for comedy.

What a great, great day.

1 comment:

EV said...

I agree - best day ever! Except I would not dare to adventure into the DC madhouse. I avoid it on regular days, I can't imagine today. Those jolly onlookers will never get home.