Tuesday, January 13, 2009

At long last! Friday Night Lights!!!

This Friday marks the return of one of the best television programs, ever. That is not an exaggeration. Yes, I'm given to hyperbole, but with respect to this show, calling it one of the greats is just plain true.

Friday Night Lights.

If you are among those who haven't seen it -- which, unfortunately, includes most people -- you are missing out. RUN and get the Season 1 and Season 2 DVD's right now.

I'll admit that when the show first aired I was not among those watching. Yes, I was aware of the critical praise it received but I didn't want to get involved in another TV show. However, after two very dear friends of mine went on and on about how wonderful it was, I decided to check it out. I watched the very last episode of the first season and was hooked.

My friend David (one of the aforementioned dear pals who loves the show as fervently as I), and I were singing the series' praises one day when I described it this way:

"It's a miracle of storytelling".

Where do I even begin? The show concerns the citizens of the fictional town of Dillon, Texas and their devotion to their high-school football team. (But it's really about so much more). I can hear some of you already complaining that you don't like football. Fear not! You don't have to. Football -- the game -- is beside the point. (Although if you DO like football, as I do, the games are exciting and shot brilliantly). The point is the town and the people in it. It is an achingly beautiful portrait of family, teenagers, sex, (yes, football), marriage (both good and bad), struggle, faith, small triumphs, big wins, disappointment, small town life, and so much more.

Written with an honesty and grace that are remarkably refreshing for American tv shows, it boasts a pitch-perfect cast, assured direction and the palpable love of its executive producer/creator Peter Berg. For the hour that you watch, it feels as though you are IN Dillon, Texas. The characters' circumstances may be far removed from your own, but you will recognize all too easily their hopes, fears, pettiness, failings, strengths, humour...

I'm not doing it justice. I'm not even coming close.

Please watch it. It has always been on the chopping block as it doesn't get the ratings it deserves. This past year there was a HUGE campaign to save the show, and the network listened. But it still isn't clear that this lovely program will receive a fourth season.

Watch. You'll thank me.

http://www.nbc.com/Friday_Night_Lights/

1 comment:

EV said...

I love this show! Of course, I am partial to football in the south...but regardless, it is so well done. Such fantastic story telling. And to be very junior high, Tim Riggins is HOT!