Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bob Herbert is smart. That must mean I am, too.

I posted earlier today in reaction to a column by William Kristol in yesterday's NY Times. In this post, I took the Republicans to task. I had yet to read today's column by Bob Herbert, but apparently, he and I think alike (hee! I *heart* Bob) because he said exactly the same things in his column that I said in my post, albeit more artfully. And he takes the Democrats to task as well. (Lest anyone think that I maintain the idea that the Dems can do no wrong, let me state for the record that the Dems have their own set of problems. I'm a proud, die-hard member of the Democratic party, but it does not follow that they are above criticism. I'll get around to them later.)

Anyway...

I urge you to read Mr. Herbert's column. While you're at it, check out David Brook's column as well. He's a Republican that I can deal with, and he's quite intelligent. Certainly I disagree with him about some matters, but often I find myself appreciating his perspective. In any case, his column published today is one that I like so much I printed it out. I maintain a folder of editorials that I particularly enjoy. Go forth and read!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked Bob Herbert's column very much - thank you.

But I LOVED David Brook's thoughts on the erosion of institutionalism. Yikes. A tricky issue to be sure, but we lose so much when we throw the baby out with the bathwater. I see it with actors who don't have respect for the theatre or for older actors. Good food for thought JuB!

Anonymous said...

hello!! nice blog..

Unknown said...

hey! just adding to your shout out about Bob Herbert...he very cavalierly and directly chastised Dick Armey at the beginning of his Hardball segment, after The Dick acted like an ass to Joan Walsh of Salon. Acted like an ass politically and socially and personally and...well, its hard to keep track. But that's why we love Bob Herbert. On the insightful side of things and articulate, and never lets someone get away with crossing a line. Yay!