Wednesday, February 4, 2009

HIGHLY Recommended website


Here is a link to Robert Reich's blog. In fact, it is called Robert Reich's Blog. How clever of him. RR was the Secretary of Labor during the Clinton administration. You may have seen him on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. He has published several books, the latest being Supercapitalism.

I stumbled upon his blog by accident but am quite happy to have found it. There is this post about the Obama administration's stimulus package and what work will need to be done after the bill has passed Congress. It will pass Congress sooner or later, presumably after a lot more hand-wringing on both sides of the aisle (and no doubt with the Dems bark being worse than their bite and caving on key elements of the bill to the same folks who are largely responsible for the mess in the first place. Notice I say largely responsible, not completely. See? I can be bi-partisan.)

I have done a lot of reading about the proposed stimulus, a great deal of which has left me befuddled. (Charts and graphs make me apoplectic. They frighten me. Always have, ever since I was first asked to graph an equation in pre-algebra). Mr. Reich manages to lay out his arguments in a manner which a lay person like me, with an average understanding of economics, can understand. I particularly liked his "after the stimulus" post (please, no "le deluge" jokes), for its illustration of what he calls "structuralists" and "cyclists". (I'm a structuralist). This post is clear, concise and manages to avoid condescension. I urge you to check it out. You'll enjoy it.

2 comments:

Walt said...

It will never work, they have robbed us and the world blind with their counterfeit money, and there is nothing left, but worthless paper.

intrepidideas said...

Hey there... Thanks for this info. Interesting reading. I'm not nearly as sour as Walt is on the deal but my eyes are open. I like your take on the charts and graphs. At least you know where you stand. I'm absolutely a chart and graphs guy. Love them. Otherwise I sometimes get lost in the verbage. Nice Post!