Thursday, February 19, 2009

Another shout out!

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you know that one of my earliest posts was in praise of NY Times Op-Ed columnist Nicholas Kristof. Well, I'm at it again, this time giving props to Gail Collins and David Brooks. In a recent post I mentioned that Brooks is one of the few Republican commentators that I can stand reading and/or listening to because he is not a crazy, raving lunatic out to whip up the extremists into a frenzy. If only Brooks were the voice of the Republican party rather than Rush Limbaugh.

I digress.

Every so often, David and Gail debate a topic. These exchanges are witty and thoughtful and, gasp!, respectful. Go to the Times website, click on the Opinion link and then click on The Conversation. Or, you know, just click right here.

This particular conversation, titled The Propeller Heads' Dilemma, concerns how large a role policy intellectuals should take in any Administration. They go on to debate a bit about the stimulus plan. What I appreciate so much about the exchanges these two conduct is the clear respect each has for the other person's intellect. It is so refreshing in this age of cable news shout-fests and screaming matches. Jon Stewart managed to get that horrible show with Tucker Carlson axed a few years ago but Mr. Stewart is only one man and despite his reach and influence, he can only do so much. (By the way, Jon, um... I've got a big crush on you. Big.) Would that it were possible to lock the 24 hour news-cycle genie back in the bottle from which she sprang (although in that case Jon Stewart would have far fewer people to make fun of, so I suppose it's all for the best). Filling air time has bestowed a form of legitimacy on countless pundits, optimistically referred to as experts in most cases.

Oh, if only Bill Moyers ruled the world!

Lest you think, treasured readers, that I only read the NY Times, it's not true. I read the Huffington Post also. Hee. Little joke there. Did you like that? Really though, I check out numerous political/current events websites; it just so happens that the Times employs a few of my favorite writer/thinkers.

So... Gail, David, thank you and keep up the good work.

No comments: