Friday, April 3, 2009

I hope you're tall

I hope you're tall.
At least taller than I --
a girl likes to wear heels.

I hope you know
that candles and flowers
do not always equal romance --
that sometimes it is as simple as
surprising me with jars of my favorite apricot jam
bought because you knew I was running out.

I hope you don't wake easily
because I twitch in my sleep
and fear rousing you
from pleasant slumber.

I hope you'll give facial hair a try
'cause I'd like to see you with a beard.
Just, please, no "soul patch"
you are over 40, you know.

I hope you realize that I will never
ever
ever
ride a roller coaster again.

I hope you have been hurt
because it can bestow grace
and
patience.

I hope you know that I have made mistakes
placed a ring on the wrong finger
and though leaving was called for
guilt leaves a film
like soap.

I hope you know
that I am afraid
and wary
and likely to mistrust your initial interest.

Mostly,
I hope you are soon
because winter keeps getting longer
and I've no one to help with the Christmas decorations
a solemn chore performed alone.

Yes, mostly
I hope you are soon.

2 comments:

matthb said...

Beautiful stuff. I like it as much as the short version on Calliope's Diary. "I hope you are soon" is a great line.

Kate said...

"though the leaving was called for/guilt leaves a film/like soap". Beautiful and heartbreaking...and, of course, deeply recognized and felt for me. You are so talented in so many ways, my friend...